For the dressing: 2 tbsp Palm Sugar 2 tbsp Fish Sauce 3 limes, juiced 3 garlic cloves, crushed 1 bird's eye chilli, deseeded and finely chopped 6 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped For the salad: 500g rump steak 1 small red onion, thinly sliced 3 spring onions, thinly sliced ½ cucumber, halved lengthways, deseeded and sliced 8 radishes, thinly sliced 4 medium-sized tomatoes, quartered 1 tbsp vegetable oil ½ head Chinese leaf or iceberg lettuce, finely sliced
- To make the dressing:
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Place the onions, cucumber, radishes and tomatoes in a bowl and pour over half of the dressing. Leave to marinate whilst you cook the beef.
- To make the salad:
- Brush the steak with the oil and season with salt and black pepper.
- Heat a griddle pan until smoking, then add the steak, cook for 3-6 minutes each side, or until cooked to your liking.
- Transfer to a plate and allow to rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice.
- Just before serving, stir the lettuce into the salad ingredients.
- Place the beef on top and drizzle over remaining dressing. Serve immediately.
Prepare the dressing no more than 2 hours before serving, as the flavours may dissipate with time.
It's customary in Thailand to share all the dishes you order with everyone at the table.