1 carrot, cut into wafer thin slices
½ red onion, cut into wafer thin slices
50ml rice vinegar
1 tbsp Palm Sugar
50ml Sweet Chilli Sauce
1 tbsp Fish Sauce
the juice of ½ lime
400g small squid tubes
2 tbsp flour
salt and pepper
25g Thai Holy basil leaves
25g coriander leaves
25g mint leaves
- Place the carrot and onion into a bowl.
- In a small pan, boil the rice vinegar with 50ml water and the palm sugar for 1 minute then pour over the onions and carrots and leave for 30 mins.
- Mix the sweet chilli sauce, fish sauce and lime juice together and set aside.
- Meanwhile cut open the squid tubes and lay them flat on a chopping board, inside facing upwards.
- Using a sharp knife score the flesh in a criss cross pattern, and cut the squid into large squares.
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper together on a plate and toss the pieces of squid in it.
- Fill a deep sided frying pan with oil about 2 cm deep and heat until a piece of squid sizzles immediately. Add half the squid and fry for 1-2 mins until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on kitchen paper and fry the remaining squid.
- Drain the carrots and red onion and toss with the herbs.
- Arrange on 4 plates, top with the squid and drizzle with the sweet and sour sauce.
Serve this delicious light supper as part of a Thai menu or as a generous starter If liked use prepared squid rings for this instead.
Thailand welcomed 16 million international arrivals in 2017, making it the most visited country in the world!