For the marinade: 3 cloves garlic - crushed ½ tbsp sea salt 2 tsp dark soy sauce Juice of ½ fresh lime Small handful fresh Coriander (stalks included) – chopped finely 1 ½ tsp Palm Sugar For the veg: 1 small Aubergine - cut into chunky cubes 1 of each - Red and Yellow Sweet Peppers – deseeded and cut into chunky strips 4 Mushrooms – thickly sliced 4 shallots - peeled and halved
- Using a pestle and mortar combine the garlic, salt, coriander and sugar.
- Serve with sticky rice.
- Once you have a thick paste add the soy and lime juice and mix together.
- Place the vegetables in a non reactive container and add the marinade. Mix well to make sure everything is coated.
- Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for at least ½ hour.
- Cook on a griddle pan over a medium to high heat until the veg have turned golden brown and softened slightly. This should take about 10 to 15 minutes.
- As an alternative, you could also load the veg onto skewers and cook directly on the barbeque.
If serving as a side dish, this dish goes particularly well with Thai Fish Cakes or Sweet Pork Skewers.
Both the leaves and root of coriander is used in Thai cooking. The leaves for flavour and garnish, the stems and roots for stronger flavours.