25g uncooked Sticky Rice
500g 10 % fat pork mince
1 tsp Palm Sugar
1½ tbsp Fish Sauce
2 tsp Chilli Paste
Juice of 2 limes
3 eschallion shallots, sliced
6 spring onions, sliced
A few leaves of mint, Thai holy basil, and coriander
Serve with sticky rice or crisp lettuce leaves
- Place the uncooked rice grains into a small pan and cook over a medium heat for about 10-15 mins, stirring often until golden brown and smelling toasted.
- Meanwhile, dry fry the mince and shallots in a deep frying pan for about 15 mins until the meat is browned all over and beginning to turn golden and caramelized.
- Add 4 tbsp water, fish sauce, chilli paste and palm sugar, stir well. Cover and cook for 10 mins on a low heat.
- Meanwhile, crush the toasted rice in a pestle and mortar to make a coarse powder. Add to the mince with the lime juice and spring onions.
- Serve topped with mint, Thai basil and coriander and serve either in lettuce leaves or with sticky rice.
Delicious served in lettuce leaves as an informal starter or side dish. The toasted rice is what gives this dish its name and its unique flavour.
1/10th of the entire population of Thailand lives in Bangkok. Its diverse population makes for a great food scene.