For the Salad:
A handful of mixed salad leaves
1 small cucumber – washed and with the ends removed
2 red shallots – peeled and thinly sliced
2 young celery stalks – finely chopped
Small handful of coriander leaves – finely chopped
A few mint leaves – finely chopped
Approx 150g cooked prawns
For the dressing:
1 garlic clove – minced
1 small hot Thai chilli – deseeded, with the white pith removed and finely chopped
A few of the coriander stalks – nothing too woody; finely chopped
Level tsp of caster sugar
Pinch of salt
2 tsp Fish Sauce
3 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- To make the dressing:
- First place the garlic and chilli into a mortar and grind together with the pestle
- Add the coriander stalks with salt and sugar and grind until you get a smooth pulp.
- Add the fish sauce and the lime juice. Continue to gently but firmly grind together until the sugar has dissolved into the sauce.
- To make the salad:
- Wash and spin the salad leaves and arrange in a suitable large serving bowl.
- Slice the cucumber into quarters lengthways and remove the seeds. Then slice fairly thinly on an angle. In a bowl combine with the shallots, celery and the herbs.
- Add about 2/3 of the prawns and dress this mixture with most of the dressing. Turn this out onto the centre of the salad leaves and arrange. Sprinkle with the rest of the prawns, drizzle over the last of the dressing and serve.
replace the Fish Sauce with Vegetarian 'Fish' Sauce and the prawns with tofu for a delicious vegan alternative
It's customary in Thailand to share all the dishes you order with everyone at the table.